Thursday, May 26, 2005

Got a textbook at last

It's been a while since my last post -- I've been insanely busy with my translations and the important interpreting job that I had today. I'm also leaving for Naryn on Monday, so I thought it would be a good idea to post an update while I still have time.

On Monday I got the "Кыргыз тилин уйронобуз" textbook (mentioned in the Books section) from the university library. The librarian said they don't have the CD that comes with the book, and this makes things rather difficult for I have no idea how to pronounce words correctly. Somebody at the library said that it doesn't matter because "you just pronounce it as if it were Russian". Yeah, and end up with a terrible accent. :) Besides, from what I've read some consonants are pronounced differently depending on the vowels around them. So I really need to find somebody to help me with pronunciation and also to answer my questions (and I already have a million questions even after reading the first few pages!).

I will write about what I have learned in more detail once I'm finished with my assignments this week. Meanwhile, here is a new link to an article on the Kyrgyz alphabet.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic that you're so interested in (Altaic) languages! I've recently become very intrigued by Altaic/Turkic languages, and have just bought a Turkish, Uzbek and Azeri language-method. Do you happen to know any website that has examples of the Kyrgyz pronunciation, with audio-examples?

13:10

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, if you live in Kyrgyzstan, would'nt it be possible for you to find a local to help you out with the pronunciation? In a matter of 'repeat after the speaker'?

13:12

 

Post a Comment

<< Home